Saturday, April 14, 2018

Growth Mindset: Eight Ways of Looking at Intelligence

This week I read an interesting article called Eight Ways of Looking at Intelligence (Link). This article focused not only on looking at intelligence not only as something that is fluid, not fixed (i.e. growth mindset) but looking at objects and situations that can affect our intelligence in specific ways. One thing that was confirmed by this article was that situations affect our intelligence. A high-stress or low-motivation situation is not going to nurture intelligence in the same way that a low-stress, nurturing environment will. One thing that I thought was really interesting was the article touched on how when we use tools, our brain can actually prune neurons to visualize the tool as an extension of our body. But tools can be good or bad, and can take our attention away from what we need to focus on. This article struck me as a practical application of the growth mindset.

(Link)

2 comments:

  1. Marielle,
    I love your meme! I found your reflection on the article you read very intriguing. I really like the points you made about the differences between high stress and low stress situations and how that affects our intelligence. I think that's a very important factor to think about when talking about the topic of growth mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marielle,
    This article sounds very interesting. I think it's important to consider background/resources when looking at how other people process information. It is kind of funny that low-stress environments are the best for learning but college campuses are (generally) very high stress environments. It makes me think about how much more effective our learning could be if college was less stressful. I know a lot of prestigious grad colleges no longer give grades because they want their students to learn rather than compete with each other and I think its a really novel idea.

    ReplyDelete