Monday, April 9, 2018

Famous Last Words: Creepy Fairytales

I really liked my story this week, I feel like I often try to do really deep or meaningful stories which I think are important in their own right, but sometimes it is fun to just do a funny little story that does not have to have some huge meaning. I also read the Emperor's New Clothes for extra credit this week and I thoroughly enjoyed that too. The Native American tales are really beautiful and I love how they incorporate animals and give the animals so much respect, but I am ready to move on to a new genre. I feel like I have read a million Native American stories, and that is probably because most of them are one or two pages, not like the longer stories that I have been reading in the other units. I read some of Andersen's fairy tales for this weeks extra credit readings, and I really enjoyed them. The little mermaid in particular was very different from what I expected. It is always a little sad/creepy to me when I read the original fairy tales and they are pretty dark and gruesome, not at all like the cute Disney versions that I grew up on. Like in the Little Mermaid, every time she walks she feels like there are knives stabbing her feet, but she continues to do it to impress the Prince. She also does not even end up with the Prince, she ends up trying to earn salvation and get to let her soul live on rather than end like the mermaid souls do. That does not make for a good bedtime story. But I don't know, something about them being dark and a little sad also makes them more realistic. All in all I enjoyed this weeks readings but am ready to move onto something fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment