Monday, April 2, 2018

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Tales of a Parrot

-This is the most eloquent parrot I have ever heard. I am giving him the voice of the parrot from Aladdin, and would like to rewrite a story in which he is quite funny and snarky on top of being intelligent
- I feel bad for Khojisteh, I know she loves her husband but six months without seeing him is a very long time, particularly in a  society such as the one she lived in where women were not allowed to go where they wanted and do what they please
-The parrot is much smarter than the other bird, I did not expect Khojisteh to be so violent and to slam the bird against the ground and kill it. This reminds me of the arabian nights tales where the girl is telling tales to preserve her life, this must be a common theme in this region
-It would be terrible to have all of your feather plucked off, I think in my retelling I would have the parrot make the woman pluck every hair from her head so she knows what it feels like
-I like that in this story the male, who is supposed to be the head of the household and know everything that is going on, in reality has no idea what is going on and is kind of just a pawn in the scheme that is between the parrot and the woman. I also like that this story allows for mistakes without it having to ruin the woman's whole life.
- I think this story could be turned really funny, the parrot and the woman could live in the burial ground for forty days and become good, sarcastic friends.
-It is interesting how intelligent and respected parrots are in these stories, I had no idea they had such a reputation



Source: This story is part of the Tales of a Parrot unit. Story source: The Tooti Nameh or Tales of a Parrot, by Ziya'al-Din Nakhshabi (1801).

No comments:

Post a Comment