Friday, February 2, 2018

Week 3 Story: Venus's Revenge on Psyche

        Venus had done her best to forgive the girl. She obviously made her son very happy, and she did love the grandson that was born out of their union. But every time she looked upon that wretched girl's face, she was filled with a rage that threatened to rattle the heavens! The girl had been made a deity, and this had only intensified her beauty and reputation among the mortals. Venus tried to shrug off the whispers of Psyche usurping her one day as Goddess of Love, but these rumors slithered around in the back of her mind like venomous snakes. She hated Psyche, and she could try her best to convince herself and others that she did not, but that was never going to change. And shouldn't Venus, one of the most highly-revered goddesses, not have to live tormented by this villainous girl for the rest of her days? No, something must be done. Venus paced her chambers, rattling her brain for a solution to the problem of her daughter-in-law. Suddenly, her violet-colored eyes flashed with a light that had not been seen since Psyche had set foot on Mount Olympus. She knew exactly what she must do and who to call to help her. In a puff of pink smoke she disappeared to Zeus's court.
           Zeus jumped, startled, when Venus appeared before him. He hated how his goddesses poofed to and fro, it was quite unnerving. Zeus's jaw set when he saw the expression on Venus's face. He knew it all too well from years of hearing Venus's wishes. He bellowed, "What is it you have come for, my child?" Venus reclined on one of the marble steps below his throne and replied, "No need to bellow, you old fool. It's just me. I have come to see about your love life. You seem very tense lately and as the Goddess of Love I feel it is my duty to make sure the King of the Heavens is well attended to when it comes to love and pleasure." Zeus shifted uneasily, stammering, "My love life is fine and none of your concern. I take any damsel I wish and my desires are sated. Maybe I am tense because I have goddesses like you running around causing trouble. I distinctly remember Olympus being turned upside down only a short while ago while you were looking for that daughter-in-law of yours."
          Venus waved away his comments with her slender hand. "The Goddess of Love knows the difference between sexual tension and other stresses, and it is coming off of you in waves. I remember when you used to take any damsel you wish, yes, you were much more relaxed then," the goddess continued nonchalantly. As Zeus began sputtering incoherently at this insult, Venus cut him off, "Speaking of my daughter-in-law, she is a pretty thing, isn't she? They say she is the fairest deity on Mount Olympus. A perfect damsel for the Tamer of Lightning, don't you think? I bet a pretty face like hers could relieve any and all tension those old bones have."
           Zeus cocked his head and asked, "What are you up to Venus?" The Goddess of Love leaned in with a feral glint in her eye, "I need the girl gone. She torments me day and night, and my reputation is in ruins while she is here. All I ask is that you awe her with your power and seduce her, and if Cupid happens to discover you two while in the act, then it is a sad coincidence that you could not help. That love-struck fool will not be able to bear the sight of her once she is soiled, and he will exile her somewhere where I never have to see her face again. Now, can you do me a favor and bed the most beautiful girl in the world?"

Jupiter and Juno by Annibale Carracci

Story source: Apuleius's Golden Ass, as translated into English by Tony Kline (2013).

Author's Note: This story is an extension of Cupid and Psyche, a fairy tale written by Apuleius. Psyche is hailed as the fairest girl in all the world, and Venus, the Goddess of Love, becomes extremely irritated and jealous because the mortals are forgetting to worship her and believe that Psyche is Venus reincarnated. So Venus sends her son Cupid to curse Psyche to fall in love with someone terrible. But instead, Cupid makes Psyche fall in love with him. There is of course some turmoil including Venus trying to destroy Psyche with a number of tasks but the story ends happily ever after with Venus dancing at their wedding ceremony and Psyche turning into a deity. This did not sit well with me because Venus had this all-encompassing rage throughout the entire story that just ended at the very end quite suddenly. So I incorporated a seething grudge in this extension to show how Venus got her revenge. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marielle,
    I like your story! It was very compelling and fun to read! I love stories of revenge and trickery, so I'm glad you created an additional plot line to offer Venus her chance for revenge. I like how you played to Zeus' infamous sexual appetite to provide a solution for Venus' anger. However, I think it's interesting that there are myths surrounding Venus' and Zeus' own love affair. Of course, the gods of Greek and Roman anthology are anything but monogamous. I would have liked to see this story played out. I'm curious if Venus' plot would have succeeded or if it would have been foiled as so many revenge plots are. I like the descriptive way that you chose to tell this story. The actions of the characters are very intentional and detailed. In many myths, the actions are generalized so that you wouldn't know that Venus disappears in a pink poof.

    Great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marielle,

    You've done well on this story; it is exceptionally well-edited, with no superfluous content. I do have to wonder how Cupid plays into the story, though. What would happen to Venus if Cupid did not banish Psyche? With Psyche as a deity now, does Cupid even have the right or power to banish her? Moreover, how can Venus claim to love her son, while working to destroy the one he loves most?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Marielle,
    That was a well written story. I don't really like it when people spend a lot of time spelling out every detail in a story. It bogs the story down and makes it hard to stay interested and try to read the whole story. You didn't compromise the quality of the story though, and I am very impressed by your ability to strike the perfect balance there. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marielle,
    I love your name, btw! Great story. You definitely explained everything well, and I loved how the story was about Cupid and Psyche. I'm a psychology minor, so I always learn about the psyche as a theory. Personally, I liked all the details. It made me understand what was going on throughout the story. Personal preference, I guess! One thing that could be explained further is why Venus can't put aside her hatred from the love she has for her son. This could be a fun added description!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great little snapshot into the personalities of Zeus and Venus/Aphrodite! I think the dialogue does a great job of exploring what exactly the motives of the different characters are. More specifically, I like how you made sure that the things the gods represented were inherent to their actions. Venus, as the Goddess of Love, is jealous and obsessed with lust, while Zeus, as the powerful Thunder God, is masculine and pursues masculine ends. Great job!

    ReplyDelete