Thursday, February 8, 2018

Reading Notes: Homer's Iliad, Part B

-It is interesting how important people's bodies are in these tales. Men in the dozens are willing to give their lives to protect the bodies of men who are already dead. It is poignant and deeply emotional how these warriors who pride themselves on bloodlust and fighting can care so much about another man's afterlife
-It is confusing to try to tell what side the gods are one. It seems that their wills shift with the change of the wind. I think it would be much better for man if the gods just stayed out of their wars
-There must have been so many thoughts going through Hector's mind as Achilles rushed at him. He had heard all of the tales of Achilles, how he had been blessed by the gods. And he had boasted to Petrocolus about killing him and then killing Achilles, so maybe he deserved it? But I do not think Hector was thinking about his own life, or about the people of Troy. I think he was thinking of his wife and child, the woman who had said all of those lovely words to him as he went to battle yesterday. Hector knew he was probably going to die, and if I were him I would just let my mind wander to what made me happiest.
-On another note, where the heck is Paris in all of this? I don't see him running out to meet Achilles. I don't see him fighting over anyone's body. He is the one who started this war and he is letting his whole nation die for him. I have seen the movie so I am sure he shows up and I am writing this as I read it but still, who lets Hector just walk out to die when you are the one that started this.
-It makes me angry to think of the gods lounging over this war, considering whether Hector should die while Hector is running for his life, probably the most scared he has ever been. The mortals are dying and sweating and running and the gods are just musing about whether to save them or not. Maybe that is the wrong impression but that is how it is coming off to me.


Bibliography: The Iliad retold by Alfred J. Church (1907).

Wrath of Achilles by Michel Drolling

No comments:

Post a Comment