Sunday, February 11, 2018

Topic Research: The Witches of Oz

I would like to do a storybook that tells about the four witches of Oz: The good witches of the North and South and the evil witches of the East and West, from their perspective. I would like to add dimension to the witches and let them tell "their side" of their origin story or possibly how they interacted with Dorothy. I think to get a full breadth on all the witches I would need to read parts of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900), The Wicked Witch of Oz (1993- Payes), Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (1908), The Unknown Witches of Oz (2000-Hardenbrook), and possibly Glinda of Oz (1920).


Resources:
Wicked Witch of the West
Wicked Witch of the East
Good Witch of the South
Good Witch of the North


2 comments:

  1. Hi Marielle!
    I think this is such an interesting topic. I wanted to send you a comment because I actually picked the Wizard of Oz for my storybook option, too. I am doing mine a little different though. I am doing a mash-up between the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland, where Alice visits Oz and Dorothy visits Wonderland. I really look forward to keeping up with your story because it sounds like it will turn out really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Gregory Maguire's Wicked? Its the source material for the musical Wicked, but is really much darker than the stage version. It explores the background of the Wicked Witch of the West (Elphaba) and is an incredibly compelling story. Its a bit long, but if you have the time, you should really consider delving into it! It might help frame some of your research.

    ReplyDelete